Skip to main content

Ramona Falls Trail (Super-sized) Part Two

In my April 30th entry (http://thenarrativeimage.blogspot.com/2007/04/scouting-road-to-ramona-falls.html), I previewed the road to the Ramona Falls Trailhead and chronicled the conditions that currently exist after flooding that occurred in November.

Although the bridge that spans the Sandy River is intact, the southern bank of the Sandy River is not – that is, a substantial gap between the bridge and the land makes vehicular traffic to the Ramona Falls Trailhead impossible. This ultimately adds approximately three miles inbound to the existing seven mile loop. Add the extra three miles outbound, and overall, you can expect a new super-sized 13 mile hike.

This is the alternate bridge I used to cross the river where the road is closed. The third trunk on the right provides a fairly steady platform for your feet and you can use the middle trunk for balance.



It is kind of eerie to walk on Forest Road 1825 and never see a car (Saturday I didn’t see any other hikers either). I was reminded of a scene in that zombie movie, 28 Days Later, where the guy wakes up in the deserted hospital and wanders the empty streets of London. Occasionally, the clouds would part and reveal Mt. Hood looming above the river valley.


I found myself wondering about the dynamics of the flooding in November. According to the Oregonian (Fall Rains Dampen Spring Hiking, April 27, 2007), the Sandy river is a glacier fed stream on a strato-volcano. Years of above-average temperatures and shrinking glaciers have uncovered massive amounts of unconsolidated debris. Presumably this uncovered material, when mixed with record November rains, helped provide the scouring action that carved away multiple sections of the Ramona Falls Trail.
I tried to imagine the water filling this channel to the rim, but couldn’t believe it…mostly.



As noted in the previous entry, this is approximately the position where I reckon the seasonal bridge is usually placed. While it wouldn’t be too much trouble to wade several steps through the water, I chose to use the green branched tree (above) lying across the river as my sky bridge.


However, once you scramble up the opposite bank, regaining the trail becomes problematical. It looked to me like a new river, or a temporary secondary river had washed away my hopes of finding the Mt. Hood Wilderness registration area. It occurred to me that maybe the Forest Service had the foresight to refrain from building registration areas in the middle of glacial scouring zones, so I continued walking diagonally up-river and bank-ward, occasionally observing clues like cut stump ends, until I stumbled upon an upward leading path. The path turned out to be what I was looking for, and for those of you with GPS devices, I made a waypoint for the Wilderness Permit box and trail signs at 45° 23.451N and 121° 48.502W.


From the registration area, I chose to travel onward toward the falls on the loop portion that parallels the Sandy River. The trail climbs steadily, though gradually, and here and there disappears. From this vantage point, you can see a timid little stream innocently meandering through a vast wasteland. The fallen tree below almost looks as if it is bleeding from a massive trunk wound. I fought a compelling urge to go down and trace a chalk outline around the murdered river-victim.


An inexplicable finger of snow reminds me that: 1. This is a wilderness area. 2. The road is cut off from the rest of the world. 3. It is likely to get cold at night. 4. I am wearing shorts.


The trail runs right up next to the falls which ordinarily would give you a pretty good view…except somebody put a bridge in front of it.




A little further down the trail a river of trees (in imitation of Ramona falls) cascade lemming-like, down a sheer rock face.

The return portion of the loop follows the stream – the dynamic element of Ramona Falls – back toward the registration intersection.


The terrain changes constantly from what could pass as lush rain forest to…


…dry eastern-Oregon-like-stunted-desert pine trees.

Over-confident that I could easily follow the trail out, I got lost temporarily and had to rely on my GPS device to locate the area where I crossed the river. Note how water-carried-unconsolidated-debris beat the bark off these trees on the up-river side.

At last, the sky-bridge!


From the sky-bridge, looking downriver to the setting sun.


Just a matter of time.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

John Day River: Thirty Mile Creek to Cottonwood Bridge

"Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse;" -Romans 1:20 "I'm not so sure about that, but whether or not we all make it through these rapids alive, I'm confident the grading criteria will be fair." -  Scott "Get ready to explore your world without boundaries." -  Wilderness Systems Owners Manual Sunrise found us on the outskirts of Wasco, high on the Columbia Plateau, our 3 vehicle convoy speeding through golden fields of wheat on toward Condon and then West to a 7:30 AM meeting with a rancher who would provide us a private launch site to the John Day river and also execute our car shuttle.   Startling verdant fields, free of the vestiges of irrigation, belied narratives of drought that punctuated the news. The fresh born morning, still cool to the senses, felt like the fledgling hours of a

Miller Island Expedition: Columbia River Ghost Cult

My brother Fred sent me a checklist of things he didn’t want to forget for our second attempt at a Miller Island Expedition. Foil pans Steak Beer or whiskey/tequila Bacon Shovel TP Bug spray Homebrew Ghost repellents Scouting Miller Island from the Lewis and Clark Highway (Washington side of river) “Ghost repellents?” I asked. Well, it turns out that Fred had been doing some research and found an old article from American Anthropologist by Wm. Duncan Strong called The Occurrence and Wider Implications of a “Ghost Cult” on the Columbia River Suggested by Carvings in Wood, Bone and Stone. The article, written in 1945, revealed that bone carvings depicting figures with prominent rib cages, a symbol of death, were found in old cremation pits on Miller’s Island. Excerpts from the article: “It can be shown that among these peoples there was an old belief in the impending destruction and renewal of the world, when the dead would return…” “One of the most striking fea

Test Paddling the Tarpon 160 (finally)

The problem with 'objectivity' is that it's usually 'subjectivity' cleverly disguised as objectivity. I've wanted the Tarpon 160 ever since I saw it sitting in the rack at the kayak shop. However, I'm trying to take the universal advice of the broad community of kayakers who suggest that choosing a kayak is a personal choice based on how a particular boat fits one's body and objectives, and so, going through the motions of due diligence, I've finally come to the day when I actually get to paddle my dream boat. It doesn't escape my attention that I seem to have a Wilderness Systems' bias. The first kayak I ever sat in was their 12 foot plastic Pungo which delivered me down the Sandy River without making me a candidate for the Darwin Awards. The first kayak I ever bought (so far the only kayak I ever bought) was their Tsunami 125 which has, over the last eight years, patiently taught me everything I know about kayaking except for tha