Skip to main content

Test Paddling the Trident Ultra 4.3

I can count the times I've encountered towering waves that broke over the deck of my kayak on one hand (probably with fingers to spare).



There was that time on the Columbia when Fred capsized at its confluence with the Deschutes (for one).



And then there was that time I made my exodus from Long Island into something of a wind tunnel on the east side of Willapa Bay. In both cases my 12.5 foot Tsunami was as stable as an ocean liner, giving me an opportunity to adapt to new conditions without a punitive preliminary dunking.



The Tsunami 125 has been a patient, forgiving tutor. However, while one is actually in it, its two storage hatches are inaccessible, so things you might want (like cameras) are either in the cockpit with you, or lashed to the deck. Do you need to change lenses in the middle of the river? Not unless you like to juggle delicate equipment over the abyss of no return. What if you also want to learn how to fish? Now you have to figure out how to pack fishing poles and tackle boxes so that you have a chance of retaining most of your investment should you tip over. While there is some space behind the seat for waterproof items that can take some squishing, I'm otherwise not too keen to set various dry-bags on my lap or between my legs since, more often than not, I have to remove the spray skirt to get to them, and more significantly, these items become entanglements when attempting to exit the cockpit. After reading accounts of medal winning kayak legends being pinned in their cockpits to drown, I put stuff there only temporarily and with deep foreboding. 


So I'm looking for an improbable watercraft that has the hauling capacity of a canoe (as well as a canoe's flexibility with regard to seating positions and accessibility to cargo), the stability of my Tsunami, the speed of a sea kayak, and, of course, a cup-holder.



Ocean Kayak's Trident Ultra 4.3 is a sit-on-top kayak designed for fishing. As the idea of a 'fishing kayak' has caught on, there has been a sort of a trend to develop ever more stable platforms. This has resulted in something I think they used to call boats (some even have motors). But some of the sit on tops still employ design strategies inherited from sea kayaks. The Ultra 4.3 has noticeable 'rocker', a fairly narrow width at 29.1 inches (just 3 more than my Tsunami) and a nose and tail that look like a keeled craft (for tracking), but a fairly flat belly (for maneuvering).

It's clearly designed to be a fishing kayak because it has four flush-mounted  fishing pole holders and a ruler on the center rectangular hatch for measuring your catch.



The Ultra 4.3 didn't have any cup-holders that I could see. I had to make do with the much publicized pivoting hatch top that spins around (see the fancy silver 'T' hinge at right) so either surface can be hidden away in the giant rectangular hatch. One side of the hatch top has a bottle holder built into it. The other side seems to be designed for mounting a fish finder. The literature says this is handy if, when coming to shore through pounding surf, you'd want to protect your fish finder screen by turning it around to the inside. But the literature doesn't really explain what to do to protect the expensive wine bottle that consequently must be exposed to the elements nor how to fit everything from both sides into the hatch at once.

The rectangular hatch was big enough to accommodate the dry bag that holds my emergency gear and camera gear. However, I was surprised to find that this space was fully enclosed with no access to the interior of the boat. This means there's a good chance that this hatch is actually water-tight. It also means that you won't sink your kayak if you flip it while this hatch is open. But it also means that you won't be putting any fishing poles in it without modifications to your boat.



A padded seat and seat-back clips into the kayak at four connection points around the back end of the molded cockpit. Presumably, the straps are adjustable, but their function, and the benefits for adjusting them remained inscrutable to me for the duration of the trial. As I installed the seat, I noted that the seating area was scarcely higher than the floor of the kayak and the seat cushion itself seemed somewhat underwhelming. 



Once I actually sat in the kayak, I noted that I was pretty much sitting in water. I'm not sure how much water, because I was wearing a dry suit, but I suspect, if it was summer, my butt would look like a prune by the end of a day's journey (and yes, this does imply that my butt does not normally look like a prune).

Observe also that the giant, elevated rectangular hatch gives the otherwise open cockpit the same sense of constriction that you'd expect in an enclosed cockpit. Since it is elevated, it makes reaching the front hatch a risky proposition as you high center yourself over the top.



It turns out, this is what a paddle holder is.



The National Weather Service had predicted that mild November conditions were in the process of rapid change. Clear skies and temperatures in the mid fifties were destined to deteriorate to wind and rain and freezing temperatures. The average wind speed for my excursion was 12.2 mph with the highest wind speed recorded at 25 and the highest gust at 34 (there evidently being a difference between high winds and high gusts).



Ominous dark clouds spent the afternoon racing to block out the sky.



I halfheartedly tried testing out the Ultra 4.3's secondary stability, but I seem to have a dependable self-preservation instinct and didn't ever tip to the point of failure.



I also didn't load the tank well with the 144 frozen beer test load. The peculiar shape of the tank well is custom designed to fit an ice box storage pod. If I was at a point where I could dependably catch fish, I might consider such a device, but for now, it looks like I could stow lots of camping gear here. Looks like you have to come up with your own rigging.


Click on image to see a slightly larger version

Looking downriver. The Willamette empties into the Columbia just about at the end of the tree-line in the center of the picture.



Heading up river and into the wind, I pass a tugboat preparing to launch.

Paddling into the wind and current, the kayak goes where I tell it to go. Even pointed directly into the wind, it tracks straight. However, it doesn't make much headway. I try angling into the wind, but don't notice any advantage I'd hoped to gain by tacking...perhaps because it doesn't have much of a keel. 



The kayak's maneuverability is excellent as I cut through the maze of pilings that support the unlikely docks to which the ships are leashed. Once I start employing the use of windbreaks, the Ultra 4.3 leaps forward.



The St. Johns Bridge is in the distance, but I can tell from the sun's position that I will soon be out of daylight.



Heading downwind, the boat's tail end tends to swing around to the side. I frequently break my paddling cadence to correct the angle. All in all, it takes only a quarter of the time out to return to my launch point.



This is the point where I truly began to appreciate Wilderness System's seating solution.




The tugboat crew puts the finishing touches on the barge package they've been stringing together. I'm reminded of a spider prowling the perimeter of a freshly constructed web.



This is the point where I got yelled at for getting too close.



Once again, I've cut it kind of close concerning whether or not I'll be able to actually see the take out point in the gathering gloom.



Clearly, not everybody got to take Friday off. The rumble of giant conveyor belts and great animal-like pneumatic sighs punctuate the dusk. Artificial light obviously marks this as a stubborn human outpost, launching yet another vessel into an unforgiving ocean.




Pretty much too late, I think to take a picture of the Ultra 4.3's hull configuration.




TSUNAMI 125
TARPON 140
TRIDENT ULTRA 4.3
length (ft.)
12.6
14.0
14.1




width (in.)
26.0
28.0
29.1




weight (lb.)
51.0
68.0
68.0



Conclusions:

I feel confident that the Ultra 4.3 can handle challenging waves and wind, probably more than I am currently willing to voluntarily face. But I don't like the big rectangular hatch in the middle of the floor. It cuts off access to the front hatch and really limits my mobility. With the hinge way at the top, you kind of have to hold it open with one hand, or throw it all the way open, which then makes it not so convenient to close. The rubber strap latching system seems carefully designed to stub cold fingers and break fingernails. The seat was pretty unbearable after 3 hours. Even without being loaded with gear, I got tired of paddling this kayak. But this could very well be because of the inclement weather and the time I spent fighting the wind. It makes me want to try the Tarpon again, but in rougher water to make a fair comparison.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Day River: Thirty Mile Creek to Cottonwood Bridge

"Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse;" -Romans 1:20 "I'm not so sure about that, but whether or not we all make it through these rapids alive, I'm confident the grading criteria will be fair." -  Scott "Get ready to explore your world without boundaries." -  Wilderness Systems Owners Manual Sunrise found us on the outskirts of Wasco, high on the Columbia Plateau, our 3 vehicle convoy speeding through golden fields of wheat on toward Condon and then West to a 7:30 AM meeting with a rancher who would provide us a private launch site to the John Day river and also execute our car shuttle.   Startling verdant fields, free of the vestiges of irrigation, belied narratives of drought that punctuated the news. The fresh born morning, still cool to the senses, felt like the fledgling hours of a

Miller Island Expedition: Columbia River Ghost Cult

My brother Fred sent me a checklist of things he didn’t want to forget for our second attempt at a Miller Island Expedition. Foil pans Steak Beer or whiskey/tequila Bacon Shovel TP Bug spray Homebrew Ghost repellents Scouting Miller Island from the Lewis and Clark Highway (Washington side of river) “Ghost repellents?” I asked. Well, it turns out that Fred had been doing some research and found an old article from American Anthropologist by Wm. Duncan Strong called The Occurrence and Wider Implications of a “Ghost Cult” on the Columbia River Suggested by Carvings in Wood, Bone and Stone. The article, written in 1945, revealed that bone carvings depicting figures with prominent rib cages, a symbol of death, were found in old cremation pits on Miller’s Island. Excerpts from the article: “It can be shown that among these peoples there was an old belief in the impending destruction and renewal of the world, when the dead would return…” “One of the most striking fea

Test Paddling the Tarpon 160 (finally)

The problem with 'objectivity' is that it's usually 'subjectivity' cleverly disguised as objectivity. I've wanted the Tarpon 160 ever since I saw it sitting in the rack at the kayak shop. However, I'm trying to take the universal advice of the broad community of kayakers who suggest that choosing a kayak is a personal choice based on how a particular boat fits one's body and objectives, and so, going through the motions of due diligence, I've finally come to the day when I actually get to paddle my dream boat. It doesn't escape my attention that I seem to have a Wilderness Systems' bias. The first kayak I ever sat in was their 12 foot plastic Pungo which delivered me down the Sandy River without making me a candidate for the Darwin Awards. The first kayak I ever bought (so far the only kayak I ever bought) was their Tsunami 125 which has, over the last eight years, patiently taught me everything I know about kayaking except for tha