Skip to main content

MT. ADAMS / Iceberg Lake




Hellroaring Canyon Overlook


From 09-03-07 to 09-23-07

This time, determined to reach Iceberg Lake, I opted to take the Climber’s trail (number 20, I think) which follows the edge of the cliff overlooking Hellroaring Canyon. Above the viewpoint area, the grass told a very succinct story about dehydration.



Even though I had a clearer idea of where I needed to go to reach the lake based on my scouting activities weeks earlier, I still found it difficult to follow the ‘trail’ when it veered off into the rocks. More than once, I found myself completely trail-less and in those instances, I used a simple strategy that I call, ‘go up’.


Sometimes I would run across what appeared to be artificially stacked rocks – cairns – that I assumed were constructed to mark ‘the way’ for hikers and climbers. But it takes a little bit of faith to follow them (they could just as well be the work of a retarded Andy Goldsworthy wanna-be), and now, sitting at home with access to a dictionary, I find that they can also be memorials to people who died there.



While I was scrambling among the rocks, I heard the unsettling sound of rocks falling. High on the mountain, in an unstable conglomeration of ice and rock, some significant boulder, aided by the late September sun, escaped the grasp of a glacier and made off for kinder territory. At least that’s what I first surmised. But I had an uneasy feeling…


…and out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something move. My arch nemesis – the renegade cow? (I simply couldn’t accept it as being possible.)


Eventually I crested a ridge of rocks that formed a broad cup for collecting what I believe is Iceberg Lake.




I based this conclusion on the connection I drew between the name “Iceberg Lake” and the presence of icebergs floating on a lake.


I sat quietly at the edge of the lake for some time and simply listened to it singing and groaning in concert with the wind. It isn’t the happiest song I’ve ever heard and it isn’t performed in the kindest environment, but for those of you who need to write a eulogy and provided the sky is clear and the sun is present to warm your face and hands, this setting comes highly recommended.


I walked around the lake as far as I could, being careful to stay away from the steep areas that promised imminent collapse. I stepped over a little feeder tributary…


…and stirred up sediments that diffused into the otherwise milky water.


It was clear to me that at other times in the season, the lake covers considerably more territory. The dry portions had a strong resemblance to pictures I’ve seen of Mars, were it not for the blue skies.



I found a better trail to follow on the way down…



…but managed to lose it too.


This stream simply springs out of the ground. I think part of the problem I have following trails on Mt. Adams is that when streams like this dry out, they look a lot like paths. At this point, I realize I am veering too far to the South so I take steps to regain visual contact with Hellroaring canyon.


How many narratives can you come up with to explain this circle?


I made it off the trail before dark again.


Because I was early, the outlaw gang of cows was foiled in its attempt to ambush me.

“We weren’t expecting you till after dark,” their white faced boss muttered.

The element of surprise having been lost, they sheepishly disappeared into the woods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Day River: Thirty Mile Creek to Cottonwood Bridge

"Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse;" -Romans 1:20 "I'm not so sure about that, but whether or not we all make it through these rapids alive, I'm confident the grading criteria will be fair." -  Scott "Get ready to explore your world without boundaries." -  Wilderness Systems Owners Manual Sunrise found us on the outskirts of Wasco, high on the Columbia Plateau, our 3 vehicle convoy speeding through golden fields of wheat on toward Condon and then West to a 7:30 AM meeting with a rancher who would provide us a private launch site to the John Day river and also execute our car shuttle.   Startling verdant fields, free of the vestiges of irrigation, belied narratives of drought that punctuated the news. The fresh born morning, still cool to the senses, felt like the fledgling hours of a

Test Paddling the Thresher 140

Wilderness Systems has broadened their sit-on-top offerings this year with the introduction of the Thresher (this includes a 14 and 15.5 foot version). The Thresher seems designed to bridge a gap between overly stable, relatively slow fishing platforms and sleeker more touring-orientated craft, all for the sake of fisher-people who need to cover significant distances to reach their intended fishing locales, whether that's in the middle of a huge bay or out beyond the breakers in the open sea The characteristics that make this boat a good fishing option, should also make it a killer expedition photography platform/beer barge. I knew my test trials wouldn't be complete until I auditioned this state of the art bid for kayak fishing supremacy. The Thresher 140 I've probably been remiss for not highlighting this before, but the reason I've been able to rent and evaluate various sit-on-top kayaks is because of the reasonable and renter friendly policies of the

Miller Island Expedition: Columbia River Ghost Cult

My brother Fred sent me a checklist of things he didn’t want to forget for our second attempt at a Miller Island Expedition. Foil pans Steak Beer or whiskey/tequila Bacon Shovel TP Bug spray Homebrew Ghost repellents Scouting Miller Island from the Lewis and Clark Highway (Washington side of river) “Ghost repellents?” I asked. Well, it turns out that Fred had been doing some research and found an old article from American Anthropologist by Wm. Duncan Strong called The Occurrence and Wider Implications of a “Ghost Cult” on the Columbia River Suggested by Carvings in Wood, Bone and Stone. The article, written in 1945, revealed that bone carvings depicting figures with prominent rib cages, a symbol of death, were found in old cremation pits on Miller’s Island. Excerpts from the article: “It can be shown that among these peoples there was an old belief in the impending destruction and renewal of the world, when the dead would return…” “One of the most striking fea